Image Map Facebook Pinterest Teachers Pay Teachers Instagram Bloglovin'

October 20, 2015

Markdown Monday posted on a Tuesday!

Hello!!  I apologize that my Markdown Monday post is on a Tuesday!  I joined this linky party too late last night to accomplish writing a post before bed.  I struggle staying awake as soon as my body hits the couch! Ha!  Thanks to Kelly and Kim's Kindergarten Kreations for the Linky Party!!!  Click the link to see all the amazing products on sale for the week!



I chose to mark down my Fry's Sight Word and Intervention Pack for this Markdown Monday!  I love this intervention pack and I use in constantly during Guided Reading centers in my classroom.  I have two students that leave my classroom during Guided Reading to receive Title Support.  However, I have two students that are still in the Tier 2 part of RTII that I meet with every day.  I use this sight word pack as an intervention strategy to reinforce learned sight word with those students.  I'll tell you this.... I believe that it's working!  Slowly but surely my two girls in this group are remembering sight words more frequently. There are two different pages for every word through the document.

Page One Looks Like This:


We work through this small group following this routine:
  1. We figure out the sight word together.  They use different strategies to help them figure out the word.  Sometimes we use the Kid Crown helper if the sight word has it (Kidwriting by Eileen Fledgus), sometimes we use the sounds to read the sight word and sometimes, honestly, I just need to tell them.
  2. We count how many letters are in the word.
  3. They trace and write the word on their own.
  4. We then follow along the sentences using our finger to practice concepts of print.  Together we find sight words that we know.  Again, we use the same strategies to figure out unknown words (Kid Crown helpers, letter sounds and potentially teacher help).  We then circle all of the words from that paper in the sentences.  In this case we circle every word "in" that we find.  The group also practices fluency by reading the sight words together after the ones we know are highlighted.
  5. We then spell the word while underlining the letters.
  6. We find either the picture that rhymes with the given word or write the sight word in an pattern as directed on that page.
  7. Finally, they rainbow write and silly write the sight word.

Page Number Two:

This can be a fun way for practicing sight words for those targeted students.


Here is a photo the completed pages during guided reading time.  I'm so proud of how well they are doing!


Of course, this Fry's First 100 Intervention and Practice Pack does not only need to be used for intervention.  This can also be great reinforcer activities to use during centers, morning work and extra time!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment